Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to the Getting Started with Assignments Workshop Guide
Workshop Aims and Outcomes
It is important that students have at their disposal strategies for planning written assignments as this underpins the quality of their work. Students should be familiar with the different fundamental elements in written assignments and be supported to develop approaches to improve these. By introducing these elements to students through this workshop, students will have the opportunity to begin this development and learn techniques to improve the quality and efficacy of their written assignments.
By the end of the session students will:
- Have an awareness of the basic structure of an assignment
- Have an awareness of different stages for assignment planning
- Be aware of standard do’s and don’ts of academic writing styles
- Be aware of support routes for assignment planning/drafting/checking
The session may include the following:
- The basic structure and content of an essay assignment
- Approaches to planning an assignment
- Breaking down of assignment questions
- Structure of an essay, including introductions and conclusions.
- Structure for an academic paragraph
- Basic features of academic style and checklists for proofreading
Future Assignment Themed Workshops