Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Mark Illman

MI Profile

I am an academic skills adviser at UoS linked to the subject area of Arts and Humanities and Suffolk Business School. I have a background in European studies, music, art, literature and language teaching (Poland, Spain, Japan, New Zealand, Middle East). I am available to give support with study skills, referencing and academic writing.

I also provide specialist language support for students studying with English as an additional language. I am available for one to one tutorials and diagnostic testing for International students in Semester 1, as well as supporting the Erasmus student exchange program.

I hold an MA in Language Teaching from the University of Auckland, NZ, and a BA Honours Degree in European Literature from the University of East Anglia. I also have a Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice from the University of Suffolk and a Post Graduate Certificate in Language, Literacy and Dyslexia from the University of Birmingham. I am an HEA fellow and have Approved Practitioner Status for supporting Specific Learning Difficulties. I have an interest in developing online learning materials to support independent learning and inclusivity in HE.


If you are in receipt of Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) and are entitled to receive non-medical help in the form of tuition from a specialist tutor, I may be able to offer support with your studies in the field of dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, specific learning difficulties as part of your DSA allowance. I am currently registered as a specialist tutor in this area of practice.

Please be aware however that support cannot always be guaranteed due to limited capacity within my role. If this is the case, then you will be assigned an alternative route for your support, either with another Academic Skills Adviser, or an external provider of DSA support.


Please contact Student Life (in the Waterfront Building) if you would like to discuss your options further: