Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Have questions regarding EndNote?
Answers to questions about referencing can be found here. If you need further help please book an appointment with an appropriated adviser here.
Support hours are:
Monday – Friday: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
You can also contact learning services by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Access training from EndNote here
EndNote Online quick reference guide here
Cite while you write - Inserting in-text citations into Word
These instructions show how to insert a reference from your desktop Library and the desktop version of Word (not Office 365 version of Word), please note that these instructions do not cover the online version of EndNote.
- On a University of Suffolk networked machine open Word from all programmes (bottom left hand corner start button). Search for Word in the search programmes box if it isn’t displayed.
- EndNote should be visible as an add-on along the top of the tool bar in Word.
- When you wish to insert a citation click on EndNote X9
- You will see
Select the style that you would like your in-text citation to be in
- Leave the cursor at the point where you want to insert a reference
- Select Insert Citation,
- Search for the item that you wish to insert
- Select Insert
Your citation will be added, the bibliography will begin to be populated
Note that you may need to check your reference against the referencing guidelines that you are working to.